The Oscar Nominations came out this week and, as usual, I have lots of opinions! (Surprise surprise!) Although I still have MANY films to catch before February 26th, I’ve gone ahead and made my predictions.
Best Picture Nominees
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- The Help
- Midnight in Paris
- The Tree of Life
- War Horse
This is easy. Hollywood loves to award the film that takes the biggest artistic chance. My prediction is The Artist – a silent film in the era of big, explosive blockbusters , will run away with awards, including Best Picture.
Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Demián Bichir- A Better Life
- George Clooney – The Descendants
- Jean Dujardin – The Artist
- Gary Oldman – Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- Brad Pitt – Moneyball
My prediction is that Jean Dujardin will win for the same reasons listed above. However, it could go to George Clooney. Hollywood loves that guy.
Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis – The Help
- Rooney Mara – The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
- Michelle Williams – My Week with Marilyn
This is definitely the hardest category to predict this year. Glenn Close and Meryl Streep are Hollywood Royalty and each are nominated for “Oscar trifecta” roles. Glenn plays a woman passing as a man in order to work in 19th century Ireland. (Gender bender, period piece, played by Hollywood royalty) Meryl plays Margaret Thatcher in the Iron Lady. (historical character, period piece, Hollywood Royalty).
Then there’s Rooney Mara and Viola Davis. Mara came out of nowhere and gave an incredible performance as Lisbeth Salander in GWTDT, and Davis played a starring role in one of the most talked about book-turned-movie of the year.
But my prediction is that Michelle Williams will win for her portrayal of one of America’s most iconic women in My Week with Marilyn. I haven’t seen the film yet, but I’ve heard that she is mesmerizing. Plus, I think all of Hollywood still has a soft place in their heart for her after the death of Heath Ledger.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Kenneth Brannagh – My Week with Marilyn
- Jonah Hill – Moneyball
- Nick Nolte – The Warrior
- Christopher Plummer – The Beginners
- Max Von Sydow- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Two comments and a prediction. I LOVE that Christopher Plummer is still working in such great films. Love Captain Von Trapp! I also think its cool that Jonah Hill broke out of his typical vulgar/comedic roles and is nominated for his role in Moneyball. But I predict Nick Nolte will win for The Warrior and deliver a fantastic speech about recovery and redemption. (I hope so anyway!)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Berneice Bejo – The Artist
- Jessica Chastain – The Help
- Melissa McCarthy – Bridesmaids
- Janet McTeer – Albert Nobbs
- Octavia Spencer – The Help
Best Adapted Screenplay
I think George Clooney wins this for Ides of March.
Best Original Screenplay
- The Artist
- Margin Call
- Midnight in Paris
- A Separation
- The Artist –Michel Hazanavicius
- The Descendants –Alexander Payne
- Hugo –Martin Scorsese
- Midnight in Paris –Woody Allen
- The Tree of Life –Terrence Malick
I think Marty’s movie about the movies will win several awards – Art Direction, Costume Design and Film editing… but I think Alexander Payne will win for The Descendants (he also adapted the screenplay).